March 01, 2013
Holy Water Gun, Batman!
A priest in Mexico has an original technique of engaging younger churchgoers. Father Humberto Alvarez uses a water pistol to dispense holy water and wears a robe covered in cartoon characters at children's masses. Alvarez, whose church is in northern Mexico, has been a priest for 14 years. Click on the embedded video below to see the news report of Father Alvarez. If that click doesn't work, Click here to see the video news report.
Story and Video from news.google.com.
1 Thessalonians 2:6-8 (MSG)
6-8 Even though we had some standing as Christ’s apostles, we never threw our weight around or tried to come across as important, with you or anyone else. We weren’t aloof with you. We took you just as you were. We were never patronizing, never condescending, but we cared for you the way a mother cares for her children. We loved you dearly. Not content to just pass on the Message, we wanted to give you our hearts. And we did.
What does today's God's Story scripture teach us about sharing the Good News?
Catholicism has been in the spotlight in the last few weeks because of the resignation of Pope Benedict XVI. This week, however, Father Alvarez may have stolen that spotlight for a few moments. While the response to his techniques may vary, one thing is certain ... Father Alvarez is committed to creating common ground with his young parishoners on which he can share the gospel.
Today's God's Story scripture reminds us that we too must seek to find that common ground. We can't "throw our weight around" in an effort to force a conversation about the Good News. We have to not only "pass on the Message." We have to share our lives as well. Are you discovering your friend's story? Are you sharing your story? Is the conversation moving toward a gateway into God's Story? That's the basis for living this 3Story life we share each day in this Daily Bide. If you haven't done so, check out the rest of this 3Story.org website sometime this weekend.
How can I connect today's God's Story scripture to My Life?
- The 3Story Way of Life begins with Abiding in Jesus. Spend some time this weekend taking inventory of your own journey with Jesus.
- Seek out a leader in your Campus Life club or your local church and ask them to pray for you to go deeper in your Abiding relationship with Jesus.
- Thank God today for making the Good News clear to you and for how far you have come in your journey.
How can I connect Today's Story, God's Story, and My Story to Others?
- Are you intentionally seeking to Discover your friend's story? Spend some time this weekend with that friend and really listen to them as they share with you.
- When was the last time you shared your story with one of your friends? Get together with a friend who is ready to hear more of your story this weekend. Do just rush into sharing the Message with the, share your life as well.
- Ask a friend if they hear about Today's Story in the news this week. Ask them what they think about Father Alvarex, Holy Water Guns, etc.
- Spend some time this weekend end talking with God about your friends who don't yet follow Jesus.